Uploading pictures from digital camera and scanning both from hp devices

Bogus Zaba bogsub at bogzab.plus.com
Sat Dec 20 15:55:47 GMT 2008

Allen Meyers wrote:

> I asked this question on Ubuntu forum with little success, but posed
> it from a Ubuntu perspective rather then Kubuntu,
> So I will try it from a KDE package perspective. I would like to be
> able to upload pictures from my digital Hp camera and have the
> scanning capability of my Hp printer as well rather then have to go to
> XP for these tasks.
> Is there a KDE solution
>
> Thanks
>
> Allen
>
> Allen Meyers
> texas.chef94 at gmail.com <mailto:texas.chef94 at gmail.com>
Scanner should be no problem. In my setup (Slackware 12.1 and KDE 3.5.9)
both command-line (scanimage, xscanimage) and gui tools  (Kooka) work
fine and recognise the scanner (HP Photosmart C4200 multi-function
device). I had to mess a bit with a udev rules file to make the scanner
usable by regular non-root users.

Cameras are sometimes seen as usb-drives in which case you can simply
transfer files from the "drive" to your filesystem. Otherwise digicam
(http://extragear.kde.org/apps/digikam/) which I have personally not
used might be what you need.

Bogus Zaba