Fwd: Re: Kuickshow in KDE 4?

Sat Dec 20 10:49:59 GMT 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Carsten Pfeiffer <pfeiffer at kde.org>
Date: Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 23:18
Subject: Fwd: Re: [kde] Kuickshow in KDE 4?

Hi Richard,

my posting to the kde-mailinglist never came through (probably stuck in the
moderation queue), and Alejandro apparently didn't get it either (or maybe
he's away from the net), so I'm forwarding the mail to you. Could you please
forward it to the list, perhaps?

Thanks,
Carsten

Am Samstag, 13. Dezember 2008 schrieben Sie:

Hiya Alejandro,

> For an application that is feature complete, or close to feature complete
> it makes a lot of sense because there will be fewer releases, so fewer
> changes to users, and less work to everyone. Also, if a bug is found, you

exactly! There might be a few things that could/should be added to KuickShow,
but it's not supposed to turn into a whole
*do-everything-that-can-be-done-with-images-and-some-more* monster.
An "Open with" entry in the context menu would make sense, though. Is that
still lin libkonq? (rusty memory...)

> I'm a little busy this days, but I will have holidays in a week and a half.
> I can do a package or other work in kuickshow then, if nobody does it
> before me.

Coolness!

> However, I think that first Carsten should give us an 'OK' first, or other
> kind of advice. The kuickshow websites (on sourceforge, and on
> developer.kde.org/~pfeiffer) are very outdated, so I don't know for sure if
> there is a released version for KDE 4.

Ahem, I'm surprised the websites weren't shut down yet, due to inactivity ;-}

I'd be very happy to get a release for KDE4 out of the door. I tried to do
that a while ago, but there are still a few problems (as you probably
noticed), so I didn't want to release that.

Seeing interest in KuickShow is always a good motivation, so I'll do my best
to fix the current version ASAP.

> Also, the output of "kuickshow --version" in the kdegraphics 3 package
> returns "KuickShow: 0.8.13", while the KDE 4 port returns "KuickShow:
> 0.8.7".

Um, how could that happen... I don't know.

> There are other minor things that can be changed, and that I can fix myself
> (or other person with little KDE knowledge) if Carsten allows us to do so.
> For example, the toolbar is completely full due to the change in trunk that
> makes "text alongside icons" the default. Some actions should be removed
> because don't belong to a toolbar, like "About" or "Setup".

Please, go ahead with such changes. The toolbar looks really messy right now.
You can also mail me in case you're unsure about some changes, I'll gladly
assist you.

> So in summary: Carsten, if you need/want help on updating the kuickshow web
> sites, creating packages, doing beta-testing, or doing Junior Jobs in the
> source, please tell us (at least me).

All of the above :-) I'm happy about your offers! Regarding the website (now
that I look at it it's hardly more than a single .html page), I guess it's
sufficient to add you to the Sourceforge project. Just tell me your username.
Otherwise you can mail me an updated website and I'll upload it for you.

Regarding things that need to be done:
- the "Open with" context menu would be cool to have
- the about dialog isn't centered anymore and somehow has a grey background
- when browsing images with page-up/page-down, some operations (zoom,
rotation, brightness, ...) should be remembered, (even) if the image is not
saved, so that going back to that image will display it as it was displayed
before
- dragging an image currently moves the image (in case it is larger than the
window), it would be nice if the image could (additionally) be dragged to
somewhere else, as a URL drag
- going to fullscreen mode with Return is apparently broken

There's probably lots more, but that's a beginning. I can give some more
details on request. Note that KuickShow started as one of my first programs
at all (and for KDE 1.x), so the code is probably not exactly a good example
for KDE4 programming :-} Some parts scream for a refactoring.

> There are several KuickShow fans in this mailinglist. :-)

Great to hear that. I hope we can make them happy with a new release!

Cheers,
Carsten

--
Carsten Pfeiffer