Usage of screen real estate in 4.2

Scott Beamer geekboy at angrykeyboarder.com
Fri Dec 19 07:22:47 GMT 2008

Richard Hartmann wrote:

> With KDE 4, I have always felt that screen real estate is 'wasted' a lot
> more than with KDE 3. The overall visual effect of KDE 4 is rather
> pleasing, but on a screen with 1024x768, I need to minimize the size
> of widgets and decorations.

1024x768 is soooo 20th century... ;)

> So I guess my list boils down to:
>
>  * Will there be a window decoration like Glow in 4.2?

Just out of curiosity I took a look at the Windecos in KDE 4.1.3 and I noticed that the default settings on the "Crystal" theme make for a pretty small Windeco and you can also shrink the title bar height from the default setting of 19.  So you could make it pretty tiny if you chose to.

>  * Will there be a way to hide any and all text below icons in the
>    toolbar, transforming them into tooltips liks KDE 3 does it?

You can do that now.

System Settings ---> Look & Feel ----> Appearance ---> Style

Then click on the "Effects" tab and change the "Text position" to "Icons only.**

>  * Will there be way to scale down icon size in toolbars?

You can do that now.

System Settings ---> Look & Feel ----> Appearance ---> Icons

Then click on the "advanced" tab and select "Toolbar".  To the right of that is a button that you can change the icon size with (the smallest I see here is 16. It's set by default to 22 - at least in Fedora's KDE 4.1.3).

   **This less than intuitive setting brought to you by the author(s) of
    "kcontrol" in KDE 3.5 and prior).

Scott
(who recently "graduated" from 1280x1024 to 1920x1200)