Destroyed my Display

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Wed Dec 17 18:41:27 GMT 2008

Wilson, Richard E wrote:

> I did find the list of available screen savers (only 2!) in
> /usr/share/kde4/services/ScreenSavers -- kblank.desktop and
> krandom.desktop.

Want more?
yum install kdeartwork-extras

> I then ran various other non-related tasks until late in the evening and
> thinking that a reboot was in order, powered down the workstation.
>
> When I powered it on this AM, I signed on as usual and got a blank
> screen where the KDE desktop should be -- a faint outline indicated
> where my usual xterminal window would be.
>
> I am now operating under Gnome, which works fine -- at least this
> eliminates hardware issues.

renaming/removing ~/.kde and trying again would eliminate a large class of
issues.

In particular, what video hw/driver are you using?
Did you enable desktop effects?
Could be dbus fallout, try updating:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F10/FEDORA-2008-11417

-- Rex