Switched to KDE4

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 16 17:51:20 GMT 2008

On Monday 15 December 2008 20:48:48 Martin (KDE) wrote:
> Hallo
>
> I have switched to KDE4 the Weekend before last Weekend (as I switched
> from fedora 8 to fedora 10). Besides minor glitches with fedora update
> most went as expected. Here is my point of view from KDE 4.1.3 as a
> user who was (is) used to KDE 3.5.10.

Hi, Martin.

> Dolphin, as far as I have found all settings, is currently not as
> complete as konqui was in 3.5.

What are you missing in particular?  Gradually more and more features have
been added and Dolphin is now very powerful.  You'll find a good guide at
http://userbase.kde.org/Tutorials/File_Management#Discover_Dolphin

Nowadays I find myself quite annoyed if I launch konqueror by accident, as it
lacks several of the features that I've come to love.

> - The preview is almost unusable. Most Informations of files are
> missing (like mp3 tags, picture exiv infos and so on). As I played a
> little bit with the beta of 4.2 I know that the preview will become
> much better in the future. So this point is not very problematic.

I'm not sure whether it's possible to get exiv info in Dolphin - there are
several photo browsers that do that job.

> - The preference setting of files is cut down to a nearly unneded info
> dialog (besides changing file name an permissions).

What preference setting method are we talking about here?

> There is no way to
> edit comment and other tags of graphics and sound files.

I don't do these things myself, so I'm no expert, but digikam allows you to
set ratings and add tags.  Can't you edit a tag there?  Amarok 2 allows
tagging of sound files.

> As for sound
> files I can use juk or other stuff, but for editing graphic exif data
> currently only digikam is usable. Even to get the picture size you
> have to start gwenview.
>
> PIM/Kontact: afaik it has the same functionality as the the one of KDE
> 3.5. I use it every day and besides it is a little bit slower than my
> 3.5 I have only minor annoyances
> - if I drag a mail from my Inbox to a folder the destination folder is
> no longer highlighted - I miss the feedback in wich folder the mail
> will be copied/moved

Highlighted, no, but in every version I've had a dotted line around the
destination, so I could always see where I was copying or moving a message.

> - with Akregator the layout is never stored as I set it up (sorted by
> date and smaler news list at top and a bigger windows to read the news
> text). after almost every restart the news are sorted by topic and the
> news text is only half as large as the list above) I have removed all
> akregator files but nothing changed.

I don't know what's wrong there.  I just checked on my setup, changing the
proportion and sorting by date, then closed kontact, restarted it and went
back to akregator.  Everything was exactly as I had left it.

> Gwenview is not my favorite program for viewing pictures. I hope
> showview will come soon.

I've never seen showview, but there are plenty of photo viewers around.  One
of them surely has the features you want?

> I miss a programm like KAudioCreator in my KDE4. Currently it is not
> available for fedora 10.
>
> General:
> - The setting of the toolbar is not realy consistent. I don't like the
> text unter the icons so I switched to icons only in the system
> settings dialog. But not all programs follows this setting (digikam
> showed a mix of both).

This is an issue under discussion at the moment.  The usability team will make
the final decision for future versions, I think.

> - I don't like the way of KDE system settings as they are presented
> now. The forward and backward switching is not optimal (in my
> oppinion). I often close the whole dialog by accident instead of
> switching back to "main menu".

That's quite simply an issue of being used to doing things one way.  Any
change causes accidents like that until you get used to them.  It's no big
deal.

> I am a fan of the old tree-view thing.
> Maybe there will be once a system settings dialog with differnt kind
> of views and one will be the tree-view.
> - the workflow is a little bit different from the way I was used to in
> KDE3. I think I will get it in the next months.

Yes, it feels strange at first.  In fact when I first tried it I thought I was
going to hate everything about it.  Now I wouldn't go back for anything.

> There are some great improvements like Okular and Okteta. And I think
> Plasma will become great, too. As I said above, I played a little with
> current 4.2 beta and it is definitely a improvement over 4.1.
>
> So I will stay with KDE4 and hope the rest of my favorite Apps (k3b
> comes to mind) will reach the KDE4 arena soon.

Get familiar with http://userbase.kde.org - it will help you settle in more
quickly.  In particular, study the dolphin and plasma pages.

HTH, but ask any particular questions and I'll try to answer

Anne