Switched to KDE4

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Mon Dec 15 20:48:48 GMT 2008

Hallo

I have switched to KDE4 the Weekend before last Weekend (as I switched
from fedora 8 to fedora 10). Besides minor glitches with fedora update
most went as expected. Here is my point of view from KDE 4.1.3 as a
user who was (is) used to KDE 3.5.10.

Dolphin, as far as I have found all settings, is currently not as
complete as konqui was in 3.5.
- The preview is almost unusable. Most Informations of files are
missing (like mp3 tags, picture exiv infos and so on). As I played a
little bit with the beta of 4.2 I know that the preview will become
much better in the future. So this point is not very problematic.
- The preference setting of files is cut down to a nearly unneded info
dialog (besides changing file name an permissions). There is no way to
edit comment and other tags of graphics and sound files. As for sound
files I can use juk or other stuff, but for editing graphic exif data
currently only digikam is usable. Even to get the picture size you
have to start gwenview.

PIM/Kontact: afaik it has the same functionality as the the one of KDE
3.5. I use it every day and besides it is a little bit slower than my
3.5 I have only minor annoyances
- if I drag a mail from my Inbox to a folder the destination folder is
no longer highlighted - I miss the feedback in wich folder the mail
will be copied/moved
- with Akregator the layout is never stored as I set it up (sorted by
date and smaler news list at top and a bigger windows to read the news
text). after almost every restart the news are sorted by topic and the
news text is only half as large as the list above) I have removed all
akregator files but nothing changed.

Gwenview is not my favorite program for viewing pictures. I hope
showview will come soon.

I miss a programm like KAudioCreator in my KDE4. Currently it is not
available for fedora 10.

General:
- The setting of the toolbar is not realy consistent. I don't like the
text unter the icons so I switched to icons only in the system
settings dialog. But not all programs follows this setting (digikam
showed a mix of both).
- I don't like the way of KDE system settings as they are presented
now. The forward and backward switching is not optimal (in my
oppinion). I often close the whole dialog by accident instead of
switching back to "main menu". I am a fan of the old tree-view thing.
Maybe there will be once a system settings dialog with differnt kind
of views and one will be the tree-view.
- the workflow is a little bit different from the way I was used to in
KDE3. I think I will get it in the next months.

There are some great improvements like Okular and Okteta. And I think
Plasma will become great, too. As I said above, I played a little with
current 4.2 beta and it is definitely a improvement over 4.1.

So I will stay with KDE4 and hope the rest of my favorite Apps (k3b
comes to mind) will reach the KDE4 arena soon.

Martin