Kuickshow in KDE 4?

Sat Dec 13 08:59:56 GMT 2008

I am CC'ing Carsten on this and quote myself for context.

On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 00:14, Alejandro Exojo <suy at kurly.org> wrote:
> El Domingo, 7 de Diciembre de 2008, Richard Hartmann escribió:

>> Will there be a kuickshow in KDE 4 at some point? Will there be
>> a replacement? gwenview is OK, but what I am looking for is a
>> no-frills image viewer. Everything else just grinds my personal
>> photo workflow to a halt.

> There is a kuickshow using KDE 4 libraries in extragear/graphics. I can say
> that compiles and runs well (and it's as fast as expected), but I can't say
> if it's as stable as the KDE 3 version. In my quick test it seems OK.
> Applications in extragear should be stable AFAIK, but possibly no packager
> has interest in it, so the sources are your only choice right now.
>
> There isn't many activity in the repository, but it seems that Carsten
> Pfeiffer, its author, is still maintaining it, which is great.

Agreed. It would be awesome if this could be reviewed and put into
KDE 4. I fear it's too late for 4.2 (woe is me), but oh well.

> I also _need_ kuickshow or a really similar application, I'm too used to it,
> and I can't think of using gwenview as a substitute because it's not, it's a
> different application with a different target. And unfortunately, I like more
> the old version of gwenview. :-(

Yah. I tried all alternatives, but none are as fast, simple & straigthforward
as Kuichshow _while still having the same feature set_. Kuickshow is
IrfanView for Linux and as such, it's somewhat unique.

> PS: I knew a bit of Debian packaging, but my skills are probably very rusty,
> so I'm thinking in stepping up in creating a ".deb" if several people wants
> me to. But no promises yet. ;-)

Stop by in #debian-kde on irc.oftc.net -- you will get help there. And yes,
I would use that .deb.

Richard