How to set Kwrite rather than Kate as default editor

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 9 13:24:07 BST 2008

On Wednesday 09 April 2008 12:55:42 Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 April 2008 21:02, Felix Lemke wrote:
> > Am Dienstag, 8. April 2008 schrieb Nigel Henry:
> > > Sorry for asking, as I should know this stuff by now, but how do I set
> > > Kwrite as the default text editor. Kate is default on Kubuntu Gutsy
> > > Gibbon, but I prefer Kwrite.
> > >
> > > Thanks for any help.
> > >
> > > Nigel.
> >
> > See in kcontrol under kde components. There you find file associations.
> > In think the option for the plain documents is what you search.
> > You can also make a new rule using Add.
>
> Thanks Felix. That's resolved that little problem. I had already been into
> "file associations" , the "inode" entry, to get rid of dolphin as the
> default, and get my konqueror back, and had clicked on a few of the other
> file types, but couldn't see anything to do with editors, and never got as
> far down the list as "plain", which didn't seem to me, to have anything to
> do with editors.
>
> Anne mentioned .txt, but there was no entry for that in Gutsy Gibbons
> Kcontrol. I looked though on my FC2's Kcontrol, and there is no "plain",
> but a "text" entry, which when extended, gives a whole list of file types,
> including "plain". I also looked on Archinux's Kcontrol, and that too has
> no "plain", but a "text" entry, and that's using KDE 3.5.9. So it looks
> like Kcontrol on different distros, have varying main lists of file types.
>
> Sorry for the ramble.
>
> Nigel.
>
> btw Anne. Nice to see you back on some lists. Saw you trying to resolve a
> tricky problem on the Bogofilter list.

Hi, Nigel.  Yes, I have systems with Mandriva, Fedora and CentOS.  The only
problem is trying to find enough time to keep up with all the lists :-)

Obviously I don't know your system, but in kcontrol's file associations you
should be able to put 'txt' into the search box.  That should bring you a
good match.  On this system it brings text > plain.  IIRC on other systems I
have seen something like x-text.  Anyway, the search box always found the
right one for me.  HTH

Anne