How to set Kwrite rather than Kate as default editor

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Wed Apr 9 12:55:42 BST 2008

On Tuesday 08 April 2008 21:02, Felix Lemke wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 8. April 2008 schrieb Nigel Henry:
> > Sorry for asking, as I should know this stuff by now, but how do I set
> > Kwrite as the default text editor. Kate is default on Kubuntu Gutsy
> > Gibbon, but I prefer Kwrite.
> >
> > Thanks for any help.
> >
> > Nigel.
>
> See in kcontrol under kde components. There you find file associations. In
> think the option for the plain documents is what you search.
> You can also make a new rule using Add.

Thanks Felix. That's resolved that little problem. I had already been into
"file associations" , the "inode" entry, to get rid of dolphin as the
default, and get my konqueror back, and had clicked on a few of the other
file types, but couldn't see anything to do with editors, and never got as
far down the list as "plain", which didn't seem to me, to have anything to do
with editors.

Anne mentioned .txt, but there was no entry for that in Gutsy Gibbons
Kcontrol. I looked though on my FC2's Kcontrol, and there is no "plain", but
a "text" entry, which when extended, gives a whole list of file types,
including "plain". I also looked on Archinux's Kcontrol, and that too has no
"plain", but a "text" entry, and that's using KDE 3.5.9. So it looks like
Kcontrol on different distros, have varying main lists of file types.

Sorry for the ramble.

Nigel.

btw Anne. Nice to see you back on some lists. Saw you trying to resolve a
tricky problem on the Bogofilter list.