Missing apps on KDE main menu (Gutsy Gibbon)

Sun Apr 6 19:00:42 BST 2008

On Sunday 06 April 2008 23:07:51 Nigel Henry wrote:
> Konquerorsu (superuser filemanager) is missing (along with a load of other
> KDE apps) from KDE's main menu on Gutsy Gibbon (Kubuntu).
>
> If I go to /usr/share/applications/kde, I can drag konquerorsu to the
> desktop, but it won't copy to the actual desktop. It does show up though in
> the /home/user/desktop directory, and clicking on it, it brings up the box
> asking for password, and upon entering the password opens up the superuser
> version of konquerors filemanager.
>
> I've tried various incantations of creating a link to application for it,
> but with no success.

if you have the corresponding .desktop file inside /usr/share/applications/kde
and yet it does not show up in the menu, edit the corresponding .desktop file
and ensure that the line "NoDisplay=true" is not set or is set to "false".

> Questions:
>
> 1: Is there a way to update KDE's main menu, so as to include all KDE apps
> that are installed?

Read above. The same applies to other .desktop files as well.

> 2: Specifically. How do I get konquerorsu onto the actual desktop, so that
> I can launch it from there?

You can create a link to an application with the context menu. The command in
your case should be "kdesu konqueror". You might want to extend that command
to launch konqueror with the profile of your choice

> 3: This is my fault for not writing down the command, but the command that
> ends up with sycoca IIRC fixed this problem in the past, but I can't
> remember the complete command.

Are you referring to "kbuildsycoca"?

--
Cheers!