how to get focus for my app at login screen.

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu Apr 3 19:14:37 BST 2008

On Thursday 03 April 2008, Michal wrote:
> Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at> writes:
> > What do you need that for?
>
> I need to supply password to my encrypted home filesystem which is on USB
> that has "just" been connected. that is why I need to do it here.

Hmm, isn't that possible with pam_mount or some other PAM module?
Mounting an encrypted home partition/directory sounds like a common use case.

> > I think the problem is that at this time there is no window manager yet,
> > thus there is no switching between windows.
> >
> > You could also start a window manager though.
>
> Do You think You could tell me how to run a simple (light) one?

Basically just like you start any X11 application, i.e. set DISPLAY and run
it.
Since you already set DISPLAY you can just start it in the background.
I am not sure if you need to kill it after kdialog returns or if this happens
automatically when the login process starts.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring