Konsole unable to start xapps as root in Archlinux

Ryo Furue furue at hawaii.edu
Sun Oct 21 07:19:22 BST 2007

Hi Nigel and Xauth fans,

| Well I remember ages ago having this same problem on a distro, and having
| resolved it. Looking back through all my notes, and Doh, I see it was on
| Debian. The fix I got was to add the following to /root/.bashrc
| export XAUTHORITY=/home/<username>/.Xauthority

Thank you for the tips!  Extending your idea, I found another solution:

  $ export XAUTHORITY=$HOME/.Xauthority
  $ su

That's it.  I put the first line into my (ordinary user's) ~/.bashrc
or ~/.bash_profile .  When I say "su -" my environmental variables
are discarded, but when I say "su" my environmental variables are
inherited by root.

This method is better for me than to put
"export XAUTHORITY=/home/<my_username>/.Xauthority" into root's
.bashrc, because my system administrators sometimes log in
to my machine and become root.  When they do so, they might
send their windows to my screen without their knowing!

A slight downside is that my own, nonstandard environment variables
are inherited by root, too.  (HOME seems to be overriden by the su
command, so that you don't have to worry too much.)

Cheers,
Ryo