Konsole unable to start xapps as root in Archlinux

Ryo Furue furue at hawaii.edu
Sat Oct 20 01:01:51 BST 2007

Hi KDEers,

| > Thanks for that other option Ryo. Do those commands provide a
| > permanent change, that hold up after a logout/login, or reboot?
|
| I better let Ryo comment on this one :)

Um, I'm not 100% sure, but the change isn't permanent.
It seems that the setting done by xauth becomes invalid
after the root logs out:

  $ su -
  # xauth merge ~username/.Xauthority
  # DISPLAY=:0.0
  # export DISPLAY
  . . .
  # exit
  $

Then, the xauth setting for the root is gone.
("$" is the shell prompt as a normal user
 and "#" is the root's prompt.)

This is based on my experience.  A more convincing
answer would require some reading.

Cheers,
Ryo