Konsole unable to start xapps as root in Archlinux

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Fri Oct 19 17:22:44 BST 2007

On Friday 19 October 2007 00:59, Ryo Furue wrote:
> Hi,
>
> | On Thursday 18 October 2007 20:06, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> | > On Thursday 18 October 2007, Nigel Henry wrote:
>
> [. . .]
>
> | > % xhost +local:root
>
> [. . .]
>
> | Bingo! Thanks Kevin, that works like magic.
>
> Another method is, as root
>
>    # xauth merge ~username/.Xauthority
>    # DISPLAY=:0
>    # export DISPLAY
>
> where "username" is the name of the ordinary user
> that you were, before "su"-ing.
>
> On a multi-user host, xhost allows other users to use
> your screen, so xauth method is a bit better.
>
> Ryo

Thanks for that other option Ryo. Do those commands provide a permanent
change, that hold up after a logout/login, or reboot?

I ran the xhost command as. xhost +local:root, but when I logged out, and back
in, I had to run the command again. I resolved that by running the command
in .kde's autostart. Was the "%" sign necessary at the start of the line?

Nigel.