Unable to start up KDE due to hanging with a black desktop and movable mouse cursor.

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Nov 19 09:53:23 GMT 2007

On Monday 19 November 2007, Phillip Pi wrote:

> I assume like this:
> # We only check for 255 which means that the ksmserver process could not be
> # started, any problems thereafter, e.g. ksmserver failing to initialize,
> # will remain undetected.
> test -n "$KDEWM" && KDEWM="--windowmanager $KDEWM"
> kwrapper ksmserver $KDEWM
> echo $DISPLAY > /home/ant/download/display.txt
> if test $? -eq 255; then
>   # Startup error
>   echo 'startkde: Could not start ksmserver. Check your installation.'
> 1>&2
>   xmessage -geometry 500x100 "Could not start ksmserver. Check your
> installation."
> fi
>
> If so, then:
> $ more /home/ant/download/display.txt
>
> :0

OK, good. Just checking if it is a non-tcp connection, i.e. not
containing "localhost" or $HOSTNAME

> > Another thing you could try is to start just xterm and then run startkde
> > inside it, i.e.
> >
> > startx /usr/bin/xterm
> >
> > Should start the X server and just xterm as the only window. You'll need
> > to move the mouse cursor over the window to allow keyboard input.
>
> That worked, but no cigar. I see KDE's splash screen loader and it
> blinks at the first icon (wheel) with "Setting up interprocess
> communication" like I did in Gnome. After a minute or two, this splash
> screen goes away and xterm is still showing "startkde: Starting up..."

At that stage it tries to start the DCOP server and a couple of other things.
Though starting a KDE application from outside KDE also does this and that
seems to work.

> Here's a strace from second attempt inside xterm:
> http://pastebin.ca/783688 (looks the same). Does startkde have a debug
> feature?

You can run kdebugdialog and see if the entry for "ksmserver" is checked.
Should output to .xsession-errors or the xterm, depending on how you start it.

> I am going to bed now, so I will try more later from your ideas. :)

Lets hope we can crack it :)

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring