Unable to start up KDE due to hanging with a black desktop and movable mouse cursor.

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Nov 19 07:24:45 GMT 2007

On Sunday 18 November 2007, Phillip Pi wrote:
> Hi again.
>
> I tried without a /etc/X11/xorg.conf and then tried no NVIDIA driver
> (just VESA). I still got the hang. So it can't be X11 issue. With no
> NVIDIA driver, I did the lsof, ps aux, .xsession-errors, and strace
> again without NVIDIA:
>
> http://pastey.net/77574 ... Also, see
> http://www.kde-forum.org/thread.php?threadid=17919 for other
> experimentations and logs as well.

Probably a sound system issue. I think ksmserver starts knotify which accesses
aRts which in turn tries to access the sound device. If this doesn't work it
might hang.

Can you run KDE applications in a different session type, e.g. GNOME?
If yes, can you run kcontrol and see if it helps your KDE session if you
deactivate the sound system?

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring