Problem running kcontrol from menu

Ryan Daly daly at ctcnet.net
Wed Nov 14 13:57:36 GMT 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-14 at 14:24 +0100, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 November 2007, Ryan Daly wrote:
>
> > When KDE is installed in the normal prefix (/usr), how do those
> > environment variables get set?  Is it a KDE responsibility or an OS
> > responsibility?
>
> In this case, i.e. what the packagers usually do, is to specific /etc/xdg as
> the location for XDG menu files (I think there is a configure switch for
> this).
>
> XDG_CONFIG_DIRS uses /etc/xdg as an implicit default, i.e. when an application
> reads this variable and it is either not set at all or set to empty, then the
> application has to assume /etc/xdg.
>
> This is basically what the script snippet from one of Rex's other postings
> does, i.e. check if XDG variables are not set and then set the KDE dir
> followed by the usual default.

So, as a user compiling KDE to a custom prefix, is it safe to just set
KDEDIR and XDG_CONFIG_DIRS in a .login (or similar)?

Since I'm using customized paths, I really do not expect the OS or KDE
to magically know that.  I'd just like to know what environment vars I
should set so that I and others who follow this route are covered.

Thanks.