Audio Recording

Rick Miles frmrick at aapt.net.au
Tue Nov 6 17:45:00 GMT 2007

On Tue, 6 Nov 2007 01:58:31 am sean wrote:
> Is there a KDE application that can record any audio that is currently
> being played?
> 				Thanks

I use arecord which is a CLI ap that is part of ALSA. It is about as simple as
it goes. It grabs whatever is passing through the sound card and saves it as
a .wav. I edit/encode/whatever later. Try "man arecord".

Caveate is that it may be problematic on some budget cards. I use a low end 6
channel AudioExcel card with cm8738 chip.  I use the following script to a
tied to a desktop icon to grab streaming audio off the net. I suppose the use
of kdialog will make it relevant to this list :^)

	#!/bin/bash

	save_dir=/multimedia/audcap/

	duration=`kdialog --title "audcap" --inputbox \
	"Enter The number of minutes to save audio:"

	time=$(($duration*60))

	arecord -d $time -D hw:0,0 -f cd $save_dir`date +%g%m%d%H%M`.wav

	# End of script

--
Cheers,

Rick Miles

Movement stopped is no movement,
and rest set in motion is no rest.

http://www.turtlespond.net
Written on: Sweetmorn, the 19th of The Aftermath, 3173
Want my weather? http://www.turtlespond.net/Mornington-weather.cgi