umount USB/firewire disk, read-only mount, etc.

Ryo Furue furue at hawaii.edu
Mon Nov 5 20:48:44 GMT 2007

Hi KDEers,

When a Firewire disk is plugged in, it's automatically mounted
as /media/<volume-name>, where "<volume-name>" is the volume
name of the disk.  That's nice.  However, I have four questions
regarding such disks.

1) How can you have the same effect from the command line?
 I usually keep my Firewire disk powered-off and plugged-in.
 When I power it on, nothing happens.  So, I plug it off and
 plug it in again, and then it's automatically mounted.
 But I wish I could power it on, issue some commands,
 and be ready to use it.  All I know now is, as root,

   # mount /dev/sdc3 /mnt

 which isn't nice.

2) How to umount the disk from Konqueror?
 I right-click on the icon of /media/<volume-name> in Konqueror,
 but don't see any umount options.  I looked through the
 Konqueror menus but didn't find anything, either. (Of course,
 it's possible I didn't look carefully. . . .).  Should I put
 the disk into the trash bin as on a MacIntosh? :-)  Again,
 all I know is "umount /media/<volume-name>" as root.

3) How to umount the disk from the command line?
 To use the umount command, you need to be root or to use sudo,
 but I suppose a normal user should be able to umount
 the disk. . . .

4) How to mount a particular disk read-only?
 I distinguish plugin disks by their volume names
 and I want some of them to be mounted read-only.
 (Again, all I know is "mount -o ro /dev/sdc3 . . ." )

I searched the net for information, but I didn't know
what to search for in the first place. . . .  I'm willing
to read, so any pointers to documentations would be
appreciated.

Oh, and I use the standard KDE packages that come with
the testing distribution of Debian.

Regards,
Ryo