smb://

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. bss03 at volumehost.net
Mon May 28 10:23:13 BST 2007

On Monday 28 May 2007, Hans van der Merwe <hvdmerwe at sunspace.co.za> wrote
about 'Re: [kde] smb://':
> On Fri, 2007-05-25 at 18:53 +0200, Alexander wrote:
> > On Friday 25 May 2007, Hans van der Merwe wrote:
> > > Ye, sure, MS makes up "standards" as they go along, but I dont see
> > > them conforming anytime soon, so I think KDE must pickup the ball.
> >
> > NO!
> >
> > KDE/Linux... can't to do things worse only to comply with MS imho!
>
> Well, if everyone in the world (basically the 85 odd percent off windows
> users) upgrade tomorrow to a new MS email client that formats mails in
> some strange MS-HTML-standard - the first thing that will happen is
> GMail will start supporting it - meaning most people will have it -
> which means the Linux community WILL have to support it - thats how the
> world is today - that does not mean we should not fight it - but Linux
> must play along to stay relevant.

I disagree.  MS knows how to corrupt standards and it's not by suddenly
changing them.  It's slow and steady, "minor" (but incompatible)
extensions, forgetting a paragraph or two from the spec, putting it in
released software and refusing to change it for "backward compatibility",
changing an extension from optional to mandatory, paying lip-service to
the standard transport protocol but producing an implementation that
virtually requires always using the fallback transport, etc.

In any case, we don't have to be like MS Windows and we don't have to
support bad technology just because they do.  Assuming we do is just
giving up; Linux (and F[L]OSS in general) have too many advantages to even
pretend like they are playing "catch-up".

> I also want all online music to be in OGG format, but who on this list
> does not have a MP3 and WMA decoder installed?

I refuse to use WMA and I do not have an mp3 *encoder* installed.

Now, I'm going to bow of of the discussion before I catch on fire.

--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
bss03 at volumehost.net                      ((_/)o o(\_))