Migrating my KMail to a new machine.

frmrick at aapt.net.au frmrick at aapt.net.au
Tue May 22 03:36:30 BST 2007

Quoting Franklin <franklin at goodhorse.idv.tw>:

> Tim Johnson's messages:
> > Hi:
> >
> > I will soon be retiring this machine
> > KDE 3.2.3, KMail 1.6.2, slackware 10.0
> > and replacing it with a new one.
> >
> > This will be ubuntu 7.04 (amd_64) with KDE 3.5.6 and
> > KMail 1.9.6
> >
> > Question:
> > Can I copy my ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail to the same path on the
> > new machine and retain the same configuration.
>
> configuration:
> ~/.kde/share/config/kmail*
>
> mail data:
> ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail
>
> copy the above folders and you'll keep your configuration and mail.
> Of course you'd better backup your ~/.kde first if possible, just in case.

<snip>
To keep any mail you'd need to copy over your ~/Mail directory and for email
address' you'll need a directory in ~/.kde which I believe is called kabc but I
can't check to be ceetain if that's the correct name right now.

Usually when I install a new slack system I just copy over my entire .kde
directory to save all my settings for all aps but kde in slack is set up just
as kde developers intended some other distros modify to suit and I can't say if
that is the case with ubuntu