Kmail filter to remove off topic stuff from mailing list

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Sun May 20 18:44:08 BST 2007

On Sunday 20 May 2007 17:32, Bram Schoenmakers wrote:
> Op zondag 20 mei 2007, schreef Nigel Henry:
>
> Hi,
>
> > A mailing list is sending quite a lot of OT stuff, and I want to filter
> > it out with Kmail.
> >
> > I've set up a filter to filter on subject line, then "contains", then
> > just OT in the blank box, but this isn't working properly.
> >
> > For example, I'm getting mail like "Paypal Notice", and the filter is
> > picking up the "ot" in notice. Normally Bogofilter puts this stuff in the
> > trash, but is now being filtered out before it goes through Bogofilter.
> >
> > What incantation is needed to just filter on the uppercase letters OT,
> > that are either at the start, or end of a subject line?
> >
> > It doesn't help that some of these subject lines start with just OT,
> > others with OT: , and some with (OT).
> >
> > I've already unsubscribed once from the Debian User list, but there is
> > some very usefull ontopic stuff, and from time to time I have been able
> > to offer help to someone. Removing the OT trash would help a lot.
> >
> > Thanks for any suggestions.
> >
> > Nigel.
>
> Use regular expressions (it's in the combo together with "contains" and
> "does not contain":
>
> ^OT:?|OT:?$
>
> You can paste this in kregexpeditor in order to see what it does. Then make
> sure the filter to filter this is processed after the bogofilter one is
> (the arrows below the filter list allow you to). Also make sure that mails
> catched by your bogofilter rule are not processed by any other filters
> (check "If this filter matches, stop processing here", Advanced tab).
>
> Kind regards

Thanks for the reply Bram.

I've created a filter using "^OT:?|OT:?$" under "matches regular expr", and
using the subject line.

Ironically I've not had any OT posts from the Debian User list.

You say I need to run this filter after bogofilter, but bogofilter says that
all filters need to be run prior to running bogofilter.

For example, I have 2 mailing lists that are filtered first (video4linux, and
wine-users), followed by a french, and a german mailing list, then bogofilter
runs and sorts out the spam from the ham with what is left.

Can you verify that my filter for the OT stuff needs to be run after
bogofilter, as, if bogofilter has already dealt with all the remaining
emails, surely the OT filter has nothing left to deal with, as bogofilter has
sent the spam to the trash, the ham to the inbox, and the stuff that
bogofilter is unsure about to the unsure box.

This is just a query, as I'm waiting for some more OT stuff to arrive from the
Debian User list to check this out.

Nigel.