Kmail filter to remove off topic stuff from mailing list

Bram Schoenmakers bramschoenmakers at kde.nl
Sun May 20 16:32:01 BST 2007

Op zondag 20 mei 2007, schreef Nigel Henry:

Hi,

> A mailing list is sending quite a lot of OT stuff, and I want to filter it
> out with Kmail.
>
> I've set up a filter to filter on subject line, then "contains", then just
> OT in the blank box, but this isn't working properly.
>
> For example, I'm getting mail like "Paypal Notice", and the filter is
> picking up the "ot" in notice. Normally Bogofilter puts this stuff in the
> trash, but is now being filtered out before it goes through Bogofilter.
>
> What incantation is needed to just filter on the uppercase letters OT, that
> are either at the start, or end of a subject line?
>
> It doesn't help that some of these subject lines start with just OT, others
> with OT: , and some with (OT).
>
> I've already unsubscribed once from the Debian User list, but there is some
> very usefull ontopic stuff, and from time to time I have been able to offer
> help to someone. Removing the OT trash would help a lot.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> Nigel.

Use regular expressions (it's in the combo together with "contains" and "does
not contain":

^OT:?|OT:?$

You can paste this in kregexpeditor in order to see what it does. Then make
sure the filter to filter this is processed after the bogofilter one is (the
arrows below the filter list allow you to). Also make sure that mails catched
by your bogofilter rule are not processed by any other filters (check "If
this filter matches, stop processing here", Advanced tab).

Kind regards

--
Bram Schoenmakers
KDE Netherlands (www.kde.nl)