French as an option doesn't show in KDM

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Fri May 18 18:49:54 BST 2007

I installed Kubuntu, and english was selected. I've since added the french
language packages, and expected that french would be added to kdm, as a
language option when logging in.

In KDE's control centre, regions & accessability -> country & language, I
added the french language, which is top of the list, and when I log in I get
french. I can change the language here by moving english to the top, but have
to logout, and back in to get english in KDE.

What I want is to have a menu item in kdm, so that I can choose the language
when logging in to KDE. I'm presuming that some editing of kdmrc is needed,
but can only see three lines there, and all are commented out.

# Language and locale to use in the greeter, encoded like $LC_LANG.
# Default is "en_US"
#Language=de_DE

Saying that though, this just seems to be dealing with the language displayed
on the greeter, rather than which language you want to use when logged into
KDE.

Suggestions for getting a language menu on kdm welcome.

Nigel.