Taskbar and system tray

Justin Denick justin.denick at gmail.com
Tue May 8 13:10:23 BST 2007

On 5/8/07, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <bss03 at volumehost.net> wrote:

> On Tuesday 08 May 2007, sam <mirshafie at gmail.com> wrote about '[kde]
> Taskbar and system tray':
> > I think that the taskbar needs to be redesigned to be more dynamic.

You're right about that. Maybe KDE 4 will do it with the KXDocker. I have it
installed on Gentoo and kde 3.5.6 it works very well and the icons do give
more functionality, plus there are a bunch of optional plugins.
When amarok plays it actually brings up the cover art for the artist.
There's too much good to say about it. Aside from being a pain to get
running, it's a sweet package.

Well, it needs to do *something* with all the space it "wastes".  I run
> without a taskbar (instead I use the window list button on my main dock)
> because I found it took up far too much screen space for what little
> information and utility it gave.
>
> It would be nice if the window list / Alt-tab could be forced (by holding
> modifier or somesuch) to show applications that only show in the system
> tray.
>
> --
> Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
> bss03 at volumehost.net                      ((_/)o o(\_))
> ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy           `-'(. .)`-'
> http://iguanasuicide.org/                      \_/

In vino veritas.
        [In wine there is truth.]
                -- Pliny