desktop effects

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. bss03 at volumehost.net
Tue May 8 09:41:07 BST 2007

On Tuesday 08 May 2007 02:47:46 Mihamina (R12y) Rakotomandimby wrote:
> Hi,
> All (no, let's say most) desktop effects screenshots I see are running
> GNOME. I am interested on running the cube and the "elastic windows" but
> full Qt/KDE (no Gtk-ish things somewhere).
> May be on KDE 4? KDE is not interested on the cube?...
> Thank you for any answer :-)

In feisty fawn (Ku|Xu|U|Edu)buntu, you can Beryl-ize your KDE by installing
the package 'beryl-kubuntu'.  After the install is complete, you should find
a entry for 'Beryl Manager' under 'System' in your kmenu.  Starting that up
will allow you to toggle between aquamarine and kwin

In Gentoo you'll probably want to add in the xeffects overlay and start
pulling a few packages from that, though I can't recall exactly which ones
(and what USE flags) you'll need.

The Debian boxen I run only pull from the 'main' archive, and beryl isn't
available there, for whatever reason.  It's probably hanging out
in 'contrib', under a name similar to the *buntu package.

Other distros are foreign to me, but Beryl (and/or Compiz) and KDE aren't
foreign to each other.

--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
bss03 at volumehost.net                      ((_/)o o(\_))