Printer config - KDE Control Module

John john_82 at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Mar 8 12:51:29 GMT 2007

Hi
I'm wading through the info at :631 at the moment but so far it doesn't look
as if it's much help.
On samba - I don't really want to run it and if you look at the link I posted
it would seem that xp can be made to print to an "internet printer" using
it's own windoze driver. This is a much simpler solution. Cups just provides
a raw queue to the printer. The arrangement also has the advantage that there
aren't and broadcasts.
I have found out how to generate a raw cue. It's simple. lpadmin without a
printer definition file. What isn't clear is how to have 2 queues to the same
printer - one as it is at the moment for my local printing and another raw
one that is available on the network.
One of the irritating things about broadcasts is the wait before printers are
detected. Not good on a laptop as they can be hotplugged. Especially by the
wife. Also samba and broadcasts would just be another load on my machine.

John

On Thursday 08 March 2007 12:08, Justin Denick wrote:
> You must use samba to "broadcast" the printer. That way, windows can see
> it. The entry will look like
>
> [samsung_printer]
>         comment = On the Linux box
>         path = /var/spool/samba
>         printable = Yes
>         printer name = samsung_printer
>
> On 3/8/07, Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at> wrote:
> > On Thursday 08 March 2007 11:09, John wrote:
> > > Hi
> > > I've read the kde documentation and a number of other cups things on
> > > setting up printers but I'm still hopelessly lost.
> > > I have a printer running on this machine and I want to enable my son's
> > > windoze laptop to print to it over the network. His school work has to
> >
> > be
> >
> > > done under windoze unfortunately. (Wife's too !!!!!!!!)
> > > The best way of doing this would seem to be to establish a named raw
> >
> > queue
> >
> > > to the printer in addition to the one it already has. The printer is a
> > > samsung clp500 laser so the driver isn't open source but is well
> >
> > supported
> >
> > > under Linux.
> > > Can KDE control module do this and if so how do I do it. Alternatively,
> >
> > if
> >
> > > anyone anywhere knows just how could I do this using cups? I'm not keen
> >
> > on
> >
> > > the samba root.
> >
> > The KDE Control Center module is, as far as I know, only the workstation
> > side's setup for CUPS.
> >
> > However, CUPS usually has a web interface reachable on port 631, e.g.
> > http://localhost:631/ in any browser should get  you there.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Kevin
> > --
> > Kevin Krammer, KDE developer, xdg-utils developer
> > KDE user support, developer mentoring

Regards
John

Suse 10.0