fstab and mtab

michael tucker mike.tucker32547 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 14:57:08 GMT 2007

thank you
for your advice--- i should have read this before  i recently tried to
install suse linux 7.3 professional then updating it using suse 10.1
everything went fine till it started deleting all the cool games suse
7.3had  not only that--- it was trying to install both grub and
lilo--- i know
both boot loaders being installed on the same system can cause conflicts--
right???--- soo it wont even run--
im thinking if i can reinstall suse 10.1 it should have everything fixed--
as long i dont go tinkering wehere im not supposed to--

On 3/6/07, Erik Ohls <eohls at welho.com> wrote:

> tisdagen den 06 mars 2007 17:03:42 skrev michael tucker:
> > so since i said it couldnt find my cdrom i put in
> >
> > /dev/hdc        /media    proc   default  13
> >
> I think the line in fstab should look more like:
> /dev/hdc         /cdrom  auto    user,exec,ro,noauto     0       0
>
> I don't use Knoppix so I'm not quite certain. By default most distros
> mount a
> single cd-rom in /mnt/cdrom; some mount them in /media/cdrom; and I have a
> vague memory of Knoppix using plain /cdrom. You can, however, mount the
> cdrom
> anywhere you want so long as the mountpoint exists. The first thing you
> should do is consequently to check out that it does -- and if it doesn't,
> you
> have to create it. (Just make a new directory that you want to use as a
> mountpoint.)
>
> Then let's look at the line above:
> /dev/hdc is the device you are trying to mount (and I can only hope that
> you've got it right). You could probably use /dev/cdrom instead. That
> should
> be a link to the right device -- if your system has created it.
>
> /cdrom is the mountpoint. You can use something else (e.g. /mnt/cdrom) if
> you
> prefer, but the mountpoint must exist.
>
> auto means that the system should automatically find out the filesystem of
> your cd. If auto doesn't work we'll have to specify the filesystem, but
> try
> auto first.
>
> user,exec,ro,noatuto: user means that you shouldn't have to be root to
> mount
> your cdrom; exec means that you should be able to run programs on it; ro
> stands for read-only (you can't normally write to a cdrom); and noauto
> means
> that the device should not be automatically mounted when you boot your
> system.
>
> You can ignore the first one of the two zeros. The second one means that
> fsck
> needn't ever check the cdrom. (It would be meaningless as fsck couldn't
> fix
> any errors anyway.)
>
> > then it said warning  there isnt a newline "or soemthing" on fstab
> > and couldnt link to mtab~
>
> Well, every mountpoint should get a line of its own in fstab. Seeing the
> exact
> error message might help. (Perhaps your "proc" has confused the system.)
>
> > so i cut and paste mtab~ to Desktop and then it said warning there isnot
> > newline in fstab
> > perhaps there is a stale lock file?
>
> Stale lock files should be deleted, but start by changing your /ets/fstab.
>
> > this happens even when im trying to boot knoppix 3 kings editon live cd
> >
> > if this doenst bring any information on what my problem is exactly i'll
> try
> > to get some more info later

> [...]

//mike//