Konqueror opening DL'd tgz files as a list of files on FC2

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Fri Mar 2 22:02:58 GMT 2007

On Friday 02 March 2007 19:47, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Nigel Henry wrote:
> > Later versions of Konqueror don't seem to have this problem. FC5 for
> > example. When I open Konqueror, go to a site, and DL a tar.gz, or a
> > tar.bz2, a box opens asking me where I want to save it.
> >
> > By contrast on FC2, I open Konqueror, go to a site, click on a tar.gz to
> > download, and another Konqueror opens. Another small window opens saying
> > it's downloading, and progresses to display a list of files downloaded in
> > this new Konqueror window.
>
> I think the difference is whether you have kdeutils (ark, in particular)
> installed or not.  *with* it, it will auto-open said tar.gz files (as you
> witness with FC2), without it, it will prompt for save.

Thanks for the pointer to Ark. I just deleted arkrc in ~/.kde/share/config.
Then went to a site to DL a tar.bz2, and now Konqueror asks me what I want to
do with it. Answer save, and Kget DL's the file, and saves it wherever I want
to save it.

This seems to have fixed a problem I've had for many months, even years.

I know that when you first run Kget, it asks if you want to integrate it in
Konqueror. Perhaps Ark asks something similar. I seem to remember running Ark
from KDE's menu ages back. I'll have to try that again, and see if this
problem returns again. All a bit bizarre, but thanks again for the pointer.

Nigel.