[kdepim-users] Using KAddressBook with Thunderbird

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 16:12:19 BST 2007

On 26/06/07, Boyan Tabakov <blade.alslayer at gmail.com> wrote:
> OK... let's try to debug this...
>
> The Component Chooser module resides in
> <KDE install dir>/lib/kde3/kcm_componentchooser.la
> <KDE install dir>/lib/kde3/kcm_componentchooser.so
>
> Here this is:
> /opt/kde3/lib/kde3/kcm_componentchooser.{la,so}
>
> Do you have such files on your system? Are there the other kcm_* modules in
> this directory?

They are in /usr/lib/kde3/ in Ubuntu, apparently:

dotancohen at laptop:~$ cd /opt/
dotancohen at laptop:/opt$ ls
dotancohen at laptop:/opt$ locate componentchooser
/usr/lib/kde3/kcm_componentchooser.la
/usr/lib/kde3/kcm_componentchooser.so
/usr/share/locale-langpack/en_GB/LC_MESSAGES/kcmcomponentchooser.mo
/usr/share/locale-langpack/he/LC_MESSAGES/kcmcomponentchooser.mo
/usr/share/apps/kcm_componentchooser
/usr/share/apps/kcm_componentchooser/kcm_kemail.desktop
/usr/share/apps/kcm_componentchooser/kcm_instantmessenger.desktop
/usr/share/apps/kcm_componentchooser/kcm_browser.desktop
/usr/share/apps/kcm_componentchooser/kcm_terminal.desktop
/usr/share/apps/kcm_componentchooser/kcm_ktexteditor.desktop
/usr/share/applications/kde/componentchooser.desktop
dotancohen at laptop:/opt$

> Try to see which package provides this file. This should be kde/kcontrol,
> but...
>
> Another forum post I found stated that "Component Chooser" is named "Default
> Components" in Kubuntu, but you don't seem to have that either...
>
> Also you might want to see this thread:
> http://www.mepis.org/node/11792

Tried it, but the thread seems to relate to a situation in which the
user cannot open Default Components because the screen is blackened. I
did find the file and make the necessary change, however, I cannot
open the file.

> Maybe you should ask this question in an (K)Ubuntu specific forum? As far as I
> know, installing KDE on Ubuntu makes it automatically Kubuntu, so it doesn't
> really matter that the original installation is Ubuntu. (Same packages, same
> repositories?)

I'll ask on the Kubuntu list, then.

> A universal workaround would be to write a wrapper script that would launch
> thunderbird instead of kmail each time kmail is started. Rename the original
> kmail binary to kmail.orig and create:
>
> kmail:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> /path/to/thunderbird "$@"
>
> However, since generally thunderbird and kmail would have different command
> line parameters (probably) you'll need to do some processing of those.

I was going to mention the problem with the command line arguments. I
know that because of work that was done on F-Spot to be compatible
with Kmail.

> I don't recommend that you use this method, unless you feel familiar with
> shell scripting.

Er, I'm not _that_ comfortable with scripting. Nor should it be
necessary as I intend to fix KDE. Thank you very much.

Dotan Cohen

http://lyricslist.com/
http://what-is-what.com/