[kdepim-users] Using KAddressBook with Thunderbird

Boyan Tabakov blade.alslayer at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 14:56:51 BST 2007

On Tuesday 26 June 2007 16:29:07 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 26/06/07, Boyan Tabakov <blade.alslayer at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Make sure you have kcontrol installed (sudo apt-get install kcontrol). I
> > found a thread discussing the situation and probably the solution they
> > give will work for you. I have SuSE 10.1 here and can't test it myself:
> >
> > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=79550
> >
> > Hope this helps...
>
> Yes, I am using Kcontrol. But I don't have that menu item.
>
> Dotan Cohen

OK... let's try to debug this...

The Component Chooser module resides in
<KDE install dir>/lib/kde3/kcm_componentchooser.la
<KDE install dir>/lib/kde3/kcm_componentchooser.so

Here this is:
/opt/kde3/lib/kde3/kcm_componentchooser.{la,so}

Do you have such files on your system? Are there the other kcm_* modules in
this directory?

Try to see which package provides this file. This should be kde/kcontrol,
but...

Another forum post I found stated that "Component Chooser" is named "Default
Components" in Kubuntu, but you don't seem to have that either...

Also you might want to see this thread:
http://www.mepis.org/node/11792

Maybe you should ask this question in an (K)Ubuntu specific forum? As far as I
know, installing KDE on Ubuntu makes it automatically Kubuntu, so it doesn't
really matter that the original installation is Ubuntu. (Same packages, same
repositories?)

A universal workaround would be to write a wrapper script that would launch
thunderbird instead of kmail each time kmail is started. Rename the original
kmail binary to kmail.orig and create:

kmail:

#!/bin/bash
/path/to/thunderbird "$@"

However, since generally thunderbird and kmail would have different command
line parameters (probably) you'll need to do some processing of those.

I don't recommend that you use this method, unless you feel familiar with
shell scripting.

--
Blade hails you...

I know my dreams are made of you