[kdepim-users] Using KAddressBook with Thunderbird

Boyan Tabakov blade.alslayer at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 14:22:59 BST 2007

On Tuesday 26 June 2007 16:09:04 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 26/06/07, Boyan Tabakov <blade.alslayer at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 26 June 2007 15:38:41 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > > Although I have abandoned Kmail for Thunderbird, I still prefer
> > > KAddressBook to Tbird's address book. How can one configure
> > > KDE/KPIM/Kontact to open new mail in Tbird rather than Kmail? I've
> > > looked in the Kontact and KaddressBook options, and in Kcontrol as
> > > well (especially file associations). Where have I missed the setting?
> > >
> > > Sorry for the cross post, I'm not sure if KDE or kdepim-users was the
> > > better place to post this. Thanks in advance.
> > >
> > > Dotan Cohen
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > To configure all KDE applications to prefer Tbird as a mail client do the
> > following:
> > Open ControlCenter -> KDE Components -> Component Chooser
> >
> > From the list select "Email Client" and set the path to your preferred
> > application.
>
> Thanks, Boyan. I don't seem to have "Component Chooser". Under "KDE
> Components" I have (translated from local language):
> -Spellcheck
> -KDE performance/operations
> -Startup manager
> -File manager
> -Services manager
> -KDE resources
> -File associations
>
> I have checked under all of them and none of them have a place to
> choose an email client. This is on Ubuntu with KDE installed (not
> Kubuntu). What does the icon for "Component Chooser" look like? Maybe
> I can identify it such.

Make sure you have kcontrol installed (sudo apt-get install kcontrol). I found
a thread discussing the situation and probably the solution they give will
work for you. I have SuSE 10.1 here and can't test it myself:

Hope this helps...

--
Blade hails you...

Whatever walks in my heart will walk alone
                               --Nightwish