Disappearing WIN key

Marcelo Magno T. Sales marcelo.sales at sefaz.pe.gov.br
Thu Jun 7 12:56:27 BST 2007

David,

Em Sáb 02 Jun 2007, David Corbin escreveu:
> I have several application shortcuts for WIN-x.  I have a problem where the
> WIN  key stops being recognized after a while (last time, it worked for
> about 8 hours or so.  If I stop and start a new session, it goes back to
> working... for a while.
>
> When I say "stops being recognized", I mean I press WIN-K and "k" will show
> up if the focus in in konsole window.
>
> I tried xev and I *think* X still recognizes the WIN key.

If this is what I think, it's due to a very old bug in xorg that has not been
fixed till now. This bug affects Gnome and others GUIs too, not only KDE.
However, if it is the case, the win key is not seen at all by X when it's not
working. For example, Win+A produces only A.
As a workaround, you can add the following line in the InputDevice section of
your xorg.conf:
Option      "XkbOptions" "altwin:meta_win"

This, however, will have the collateral effect of making your ALT Gr key (the
right ALT) work like a normal ALT key. If you do need ALT Gr, you can try
this:
Option      "XkbOptions" "altwin:left_meta_win"

With this workaround, however, only the left Win key works. Maybe someone more
knowledgeable in X can come up with a workaround that keep both ALT Gr and
the right Win key working.

[]'s
Marcelo