Bad looking fonts on Fedora 7 and latest KDE Branch 3.5

Steven P. Ulrick lists-kde at afolkey2.net
Mon Jun 4 21:04:47 BST 2007

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 07:59:14 -0500
Rex Dieter <rdieter at math.unl.edu> wrote:

> Steven P. Ulrick wrote:
>
> > Hello, Everyone
> > To avoid the duplication of information, I will launch right into a
> > numbered list of steps describing this problem.
> >
> > 1. Completely fresh install of Fedora 7 (not an upgrade.
> > Re-formatted the harddrive)
> > As you may have guessed, the reason I'm bringing this to you
> > instead of the Fedora list is because fonts display as desired in
> > Fedora 7's KDE. The only font issue that I have is with KDE from
> > Branch 3.5. Of course, this might just point out an issue with
> > Fedora 7 that I need to take up with them.  If so, let me know and
> > I will gladly take it up with Fedora.
>
> Steven,
>
> fwiw, fedora's kde packaging does have quite a few distro-specific
> patches applied, but I'm pretty sure they aren't much different
> between fc6 and f7.
>
> If you ever discover the cause of your font maladies, let me know if
> there's anything we can do to help on the fedora-packaging side of
> things...
>
> -- Rex

Hello, Rex
Lest I be guilty of giving too much information at once on what I've
went through so far, I have one question that I trust will lead to
others as well :)  That question is, "These distro-specific patches
that you refer to, can I assume that they were applied to what is now
Fedora 7, and therefore if these patches are my problem, that would be
why I saw this problem immediately after switching to Fedora 7?"

I have tomorrow off from work, so I shall probably go into more detail
on what I have observed so far as relating to fonts, Fedora 7, F7's KDE
and KDE from Branch 3.5 SVN.  There are definitley other oddities that
I have not even touched in this thread.

While at work today, I was contemplating taking this question to the
Fedora users list.  If, after reading my other findings when I release
them, you think I should take this to fedora-devel, let me know and I
will be glad to oblige.

Rex, thank you very much for your attention so far.  This is exactly
what I have come to expect from you :)

Steven P. Ulrick
--
 14:57:03 up 16:52,  0 users,  load average: 0.79, 0.75, 0.78