Bad looking fonts on Fedora 7 and latest KDE Branch 3.5

Steven P. Ulrick lists-kde at afolkey2.net
Sun Jun 3 20:52:36 BST 2007

On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 10:39:42 -0500 (CDT)
steve at afolkey2.net wrote:

> On Sun, June 3, 2007 10:21 am, Philip Rodrigues wrote:
> >> Hello Phillip
> >> Here are two screenshots of Konqueror with Comic Sans as the test
> >> font:
> >> http://www.afolkey2.net/Projects/screenshot-Konqueror-ComicSans-01.jpg
> >> http://www.afolkey2.net/Projects/screenshot-Konqueror-ComicSans-02.jpg
> >>

> > OK, so the difference is that in 3.5 branch, the fonts aren't being
> > antialiased (if you use a magnifying program like xmag or kmag to
> > compare the edges of the letters in the two examples, you can see
> > more clearly what's happening). Check that antialiasing is enabled
> > in control center ->
> > appearance & themes -> fonts -> use antialiasing.
>
> That is one of the first things that I checked.  The appropriate box
> was checked the first time I saw this problem, and it was checked
> when I took all of the screenshots of this issue.
>
> > There's one other thing I can think of, which is that the way the
> > KDE antialiasing setting works has changed during the 3.5 series.
> > If you're using the same $KDEHOME (eg ~/.kde) for your distro and
> > compiled versions of KDE, their antialiasing settings might be
> > conflicting. I'd strongly recommend using separate config dirs for
> > the two versions.
>

> All that being the case, I will re-run the experiment that I did with
> Comic Sans when I get home from a completely fresh account that I will
> create just for that purpose.

Hello again,
Like I said above, I created a brand new user and copied
my .bash_profile to it's home directory.  Making sure that the new user
was the owner of the file, of course.
I then proceeded to log into KDE (Branch 3.5 from SVN)  I made sure
that the antialiasing box was checked in KControl.  Chose Comic Sans as
my font and applied it.  The result was that the fonts look just as bad
in that new users account as they do in my own account.  But that user
had never ran the Fedora 7 KDE.  So I would assume that conflicting
configuration settings between the two installs of KDE are not the
issue.

Unless we get this fixed soon, I am going to do the following early
this week: I have a computer that I have access to that I will install
Fedora 7 on.  I will then proceed to install KDE from Branch 3.5 SVN on
it to see if the fonts look bad on that as well.

After a nap, I will go into some detail about font recognition on
Fedora 7 as relating to KDE....

Steven P. Ulrick

--
 14:25:57 up 1 day, 20:19,  2 users,  load average: 0.64, 1.46, 0.86