smb://

Martin Koller m.koller at surfeu.at
Sun Jun 3 12:29:51 BST 2007

Hi,

On Friday 25 May 2007, Hans van der Merwe wrote:
> Anyone know if there are plans for kio_smb to accept MS version of
> smb:// URIs.
> ie "smb:\\server\share" or more accurately "\\server\share"
> Im the lone linux user in our 60 odd windows domain company, everytime
> someone mails me a link to a share on a server I have to copy-paste and
> replace all \\ with //.
> smbmount does accept \\ or //

I have the same problem as you, being the lone guy using Linux ...
But when I get such a path, I can simply copy/paste the path (with \\ !) into
the "run command" minicli (Alt-F2) Window or also into konquerors location
input field without having to manually convert \ -> /
This is done by KDE automatically and the result is smb://host/path

So the only thing which does not work out of the box is having kmail showing
such a path as a click-able link - but that is not really a problem.

P.S.: There is was a discussion on kde-core-devel about this in 2005:
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=110604107209071&w=2

--
Best regards/Schöne Grüße

Martin    ()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail

Computers and Internet gave you freedom.
TCPA would TAKE your FREEDOM!  http://www.againsttcpa.com