smb://

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Jun 1 09:53:55 BST 2007

On Friday 25 May 2007, Hans van der Merwe wrote:

> Anyway, I think the whole kio idea must be implemented on a much
> "native" layer of the OS, not the windows manager. Now when I browse a
> ODF or GIMP file on our network and double-click on it - GIMP and
> OpenOffice just shouts at me - because they dont understand smb://
> The windows manager (being KDE, Gnome, etc) must request some "network
> layer" (I think FUSE is something like this) to mount and provide a
> temporary directory to that share, then anything that can access local
> files will be able to access the network share.

There have been several attempts for a unified VFS (virtual file system)
solutions, unfortunately all failed to get enough support to reach a testable
stage.
However, through convergence in communication methods, e.g. D-Bus, it is
likely that we will see convergence in the other area as well.

Optional integration with FUSE might be worth considering as well. It can't
replace the direct VFS usage though, since when mounted, the file becomes
a "local" file and will be subjected to local file access methods, i.e.
applications will assume fast access and attempt blocking read/write
operations.

> So what do you do when someone sends you link to server share?
> Copy-Paste-Replace?
> This will not fly, even with willing computer users.  Just as
> copy-paste-uudecode is not the accepted way of viewing email attached
> images anymore.

So if they send you a link like this, is the link actually represented as a
link, i.e. directly clickable?

If yes, does is start with \\ right away or is it prefixed with the smb:
protocol identifier?

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring