Problem with startkde ~/.kde/env/*.sh and environment sanitizing

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sat Jun 2 18:38:46 BST 2007

On Friday 01 June 2007, Stephen Dowdy wrote:

> Thanks, that sounds about right.  I am trying to figure out how to use the
> advice given by Thiago Macieira in
> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-devel&m=117999953011496&w=2
>
> "...You can tell klauncher to re-add it via DCOP (setLaunchEnv), once it's
> up and running...."
>
> This appears preferable to modifying the system installation, as this can
> be documented for my normal users to use instead of having to mangle
> things as 'root'.
>
> I tried:
>
> # dcop klauncher klauncher setLaunchEnv LOCALDOMAIN "$LOCALDOMAIN"
> (i tried other variable settings, too)
>
> but that doesn't seem to have any effect on the mini-cli's
> running environment.  (there's no error messages)

I think your conclusion about the different environment is correct.
This alters the environment klauncher use for starting applications, but does
not change the environment of already running applications.

I think Thiago's suggestion was meant to be applied in startkde, right after
the "wrong-doer" removed the settings from the enironment.

> I suspect the mini-cli shell would somehow need to be restarted to acquire
> the environment from 'klauncher'?  Is that possible?

mini-cli is provided by kdesktop, you could try restarting it.
Maybe also kicker, since it provides the K menu.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring