Problem with startkde ~/.kde/env/*.sh and environment sanitizing

Stephen Dowdy sdowdy at ucar.edu
Fri Jun 1 18:08:15 BST 2007

Kevin Krammer wrote, On 05/31/2007 04:39 PM:
> On Thursday 31 May 2007, Stephen Dowdy wrote:
>> I have a script that exists as ~/.kde/env/add_dns.sh
>> export LOCALDOMAIN="foo.bar blah.blah boo.hoo"
>> I see that this variable is no longer in the environment when attempting
>> to reference it from the mini-cli.  Other variables i setup in add_dns.sh
>> or other ~/.kde/env/*.sh scripts *DO* exist.
>
> This could be related to this thread on kde-devel
>
> http://lists.kde.org/?t=117977000400004&r=1&w=2
>
> Cheers,
> Kevin

Kevin,

Thanks, that sounds about right.  I am trying to figure out how to use the
advice given by Thiago Macieira in
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-devel&m=117999953011496&w=2

"...You can tell klauncher to re-add it via DCOP (setLaunchEnv), once it's up
and running...."

This appears preferable to modifying the system installation, as this can
be documented for my normal users to use instead of having to mangle
things as 'root'.

I tried:

# dcop klauncher klauncher setLaunchEnv LOCALDOMAIN "$LOCALDOMAIN"
(i tried other variable settings, too)

but that doesn't seem to have any effect on the mini-cli's
running environment.  (there's no error messages)

My plan was to place this into a ~/.kde/Autostart/Fix_LD_Sanitizing.sh

script, but if it's not working from the above command, i wonder if it
will have any chance of success from AutoStart..  (nope, just tried to
no avail)

I suspect the mini-cli shell would somehow need to be restarted to acquire
the environment from 'klauncher'?  Is that possible?

I'm not very familiar with the execution tree that KDE has, in case it's not
obvious.  I'm not sure where the mini-cli fits into the framework of klauncher.

Any hints?

thanks,
--stephen
--
Stephen Dowdy  -  Systems Administrator  -  NCAR/RAL
303.497.2869   -  sdowdy at ucar.edu        -  http://www.ral.ucar.edu/~sdowdy/