Possible to bind KDE applications to a certain IP address?

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sat Jun 2 18:34:29 BST 2007

On Saturday 02 June 2007, Peter Pfannenschmid wrote:
> Indeed, I did a 'netstat -ant' instead of a 'netstat -l...', so I did
> get a list of many connections, including these where the respective
> application did not listen, but was acting as client - sorry for this
> mistake.
>
> But the problem remains the same: How could I force all kde applications
> at once to use a certain IP address when connecting to the X Server? As
> I have mentioned, the kdm daemon is already bound to this certain
> address, and I would expect that the kde apps (which are in some sort of
> control by kdm) could easily be forced to use this same IP address when
> making connections to the outer world (as clients).

kdm likely binds to the interface as a server, for which interfaces can be
configured.

Client applications usually just as the operating system for a
connection/socket to the server, I am not aware of any method to tell the
operating system which interface/address to use for this.

Like some routing setup.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring