Possible to bind KDE applications to a certain IP address?

Peter Pfannenschmid lists at binarus.de
Sat Jun 2 09:35:13 BST 2007

Sascha Hlusiak schrieb:

>> For example: The IP addresses of the debian machine are 192.168.0.20 and
>> 192.168.0.21, kdm is listening on 192.168.0.21. But any application
>> which is then opened by a windows user (for example kate) is listening
>> on 192.168.0.20.
> Are you sure, kate has opened a port and is listening? Checked with
> netstat -lnptu? Can you post the lines of kate?
> I think, kate has a connection to the client established but because
> the server has two ip's from the same subnet, it does not prefer
> either one of them.
>> Is there any general way to bind the kde applications (like kate,
>> konsole etc.) to a certain IP address (the one kdm listens on would be
>> perfect) if multiple IP addresses are availible?
> What are non-kde apps doing? I doubt KDE has anything to do with it so
> neither can it be fixed by KDE devs.
>
> Sascha

Dear Kevin,
dear Sascha,

thank you very much for your help.

Indeed, I did a 'netstat -ant' instead of a 'netstat -l...', so I did
get a list of many connections, including these where the respective
application did not listen, but was acting as client - sorry for this
mistake.

But the problem remains the same: How could I force all kde applications
at once to use a certain IP address when connecting to the X Server? As
I have mentioned, the kdm daemon is already bound to this certain
address, and I would expect that the kde apps (which are in some sort of
control by kdm) could easily be forced to use this same IP address when
making connections to the outer world (as clients).

Unfortunately, I don't have a deep insight in KDE architecture...

I think the regular way to force an application which acts as client to
use a certain IP address would be things like routes / iproute2 and such
mechanisms, and these would apply for KDE-apps and other apps.

But is there any KDE-specific mechanism for this, impacting only KDE apps?

Thanks again,

Peter