KWin and tabbed windows - Revolution possible ?

Alexey Eremenko al4321 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 00:27:18 BST 2007

HI ALL !

I'm a happy KDE3 use, but I would be even happier if I could find
"Tabbed Windows" support in KDE4 at the window-manager level (kwin),
instead of application-specific level (konqueror, konsole, ...).

Very old discussions about this topic (from 2000 and 2002):
http://osdir.com/ml/kde.usability/2002-09/msg00682.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PWM_%28window_manager%29

Screenshot of very primitive implementation:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Pwm-screenshot.png

Of course from 2000 to 2007, the KDE technology has advanced
tremendously, so we could implement similar technology at much more
customizable levels.

That is: instead of making tabs above the window, we could make it
below the menu, above the menu, or near the bottom, but inside the
window decoration... anywhere.

(I know that in KDE3, applications menu's are plug-able, which I can
prove because KDE3 can be made to feel like Mac with menu's on top,
instead of being in the main window)

So having this revolutionary technology implemented and customizeble
will win a LOT of users from other platforms (both from Windows, and
GNOME) to KDE4, as those platforms have nothing to offer in that space
AFAIK.

Especially considering the fact that KDE4 apps are going to be ported
to Win/Mac, and no longer stay Linux-unique, I believe that the Linux
community should use this technology as a "rabbit-in-wizard's-hat"
advantage :) to continue moving people from proprietary platforms.

You can call it: The next revolution !

--
-Alexey Eremenko "Technologov"