How to tell konqueror to cache files locally before executing external programs?

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Jul 31 13:29:34 BST 2007

On Tuesday 31 July 2007, Ph. Marek wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>

> is there some way to tell konqueror to fetch files from certain protocols
> and store them locally before invoking some external utility?
>
> The contextmenu offers "Open with...", which cannot be used for most
> programs - only a few know how to open "http://"-URLs, and only
> KDE-specific understand "sftp://".
>
> Can I configure kde to cache such files locally before starting the
> external program? Either by protocol (say, "sftp://") or by program (like
> "only local filesystem possible")?

When KDE needs to "start" a file, it checks the file associations. If the file
assocation's command, usually the "Exec" line of the application's ".desktop"
file, contains %u or %U, KDE assumes that the application will handle the URL
itself. If it does not or if it contains %f or %F, it will download the file
to a temporary location before starting the application.

> Please keep me CCed, I'm already on too many lists :-)

This list is also available through the gmane.org usenet gateway
http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.kde.general

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring