Kmail - 'read' messages won't stay 'read'

cr cr at orcon.net.nz
Fri Jul 27 09:14:52 BST 2007

Hi, hope this is the right list to ask

I've been using Kmail for some years (under Debian/Gnome :)
I've just installed Deb 4.0r0 on a AMD64 and Kmail's developed a weird bug -
it keeps marking (some) read messages as 'unread'.  That is, I read 'em (or
select 'mark as read') and it does the right thing, changes them from blue to
black - BUT if I swap to another folder, then back to inbox, those messages
instantly change to blue 'unread' again.    Currently 114 'unread' and
growing...

I've tried playing with settings, checked permissions & ownership of folders
in /home/<me>/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail, anything I can think of, with no
effect.  (No the partition isn't full  :).

Is this a known bug?   Any suggestions where I should look next?

cr