KDE 3.5.5 slows down my computer!

Sorin Schwimmer sxn02 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 10 18:52:15 BST 2007

Hi All,

A while ago I had to reinstall everything on my
computer. I put the latest Gentoo Linux, the latest
KDE, the latest everything.

I noticed then that once in a while (and that "a
while" happens quite often), my computer becomes
unresponsive, and has a lot of HDD activity. If I
remove the network cable, aster a short while
everything becomes normal.

I installed today a packet sniffer (KSniffer, that is)
and found that there is indeed some intersting
activity:
- a lot of UDP to 239.255.255.250, which is UPnP
broadcast and I suppose I have to disable it from my
router
- a message exchange (TCP) between my machine and
62.70.27.118, aka ww.kde.org!!! What happens there?

Thanks for your advice,
Sorin