kdesu: store password for ALL applications?

Boyan Tabakov blade.alslayer at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 08:11:30 BST 2007

On Wednesday 27 June 2007 21:33:28 David wrote:
> Did you have a
>
> > look at sudo?
>
> I use Debian, so I do su . I really do not understand why Ubuntu prefers
> sudo before su

Because sudo is smarter. A thing I recently learned from a friend of mine is
never log in as root, because sooner or later mistakes happen. sudo helps
here a lot, because you log in as your normal user (in case of a gui, start
the normal konsole) and then use sudo only for the commands you need to. sudo
can cache your password for a set time and the you'll need to type it just
once. Typing sudo before each superuser command reminds you of what you are
doing and helps preventing unpleasant situations. This is especially true
when administering something bigger and more important than a desktop PC, but
deleting by mistake system files on a desktop PC can still be a thrustrating
experience:)

Synaptic is not something you start 5 times in 5 minutes so I don't see how it
can greatly benefit from the root password being cached. The same would apply
for the firewall interface. Do you reconfigure the firewall so often?

Best regards.

--
Blade hails you...

However cold the wind and rain