Kscd stops playing

RW fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com
Wed Jan 31 14:49:45 GMT 2007

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 10:40:48 +0100
Florian Lindner <mailinglists at xgm.de> wrote:

> Hallo,
> I have the problem that sometimes (often) Kscd just stops playing a
> CD. There is no message on syslog neither on stdout. It happens with
> arbitrary CDs at arbitrary positions of the track.
> Anyone got an idea?

As I understand it Kscd is a traditional cd player application that
just controls the CD drive as if it were an ordinary audio cd player.
The audio is fed directly to the sound card or out though the drive's
headphone socket, Kscd just tells it to play. If it has  a problem
reading the disk it will stop like any normal CD player.

You may find the more modern players  like xmms or amorok, which
can bypass the drive's audio electronics and read the data off the disk,
a bit more robust. Ultimately you may need a newer drive or cleaner
disks though.