How to make kopete play a sound when it pops up a bubble?

Nick LeRoy nleroy at cs.wisc.edu
Wed Jan 24 16:18:46 GMT 2007

On Wed January 24 2007 9:58 am, Alec Kloss wrote:
> On 2007-01-24 09:46, Nick LeRoy wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm trying to configure kopete to play a sound when it pops up the "new
> > message alert" bubble, but I can't seem to find a way to configure this.
> > In playing with the notifications, I can get it to play a sound every
> > time I get a message, but that's really annoying during a chat.  I've
> > also tried the various system notification events, but, again, I don't
> > see a way to configure this behavior.  It seems to me that this should be
> > a relatively common request, and I'm sure that I must be missing
> > something obvious.
>
> It's not obvious.  Try enabling the notification for every message,
> and then go to the general kopete configuration, select Behavior,
> then Events, and then unselect "Enable events for active chat
> windows" in the Miscellaneous section.  I think that will get you
> what you want.  (Took me hours...)

Hmmm, that sounds like it should work.  But, when I do this, it still plays
the sound every damn time.  Is there another setting that's relevant?  It
does seem like it should be, but perhaps "Exclude message chats on current
desktop" or similar?  I'll do some more experimenting.

FWIW, I'm running kopete 0.12.3 '(Using KDE 3.5.5 "release 45.2" openSUSE)' on
SuSE 9.3.

To me, this seems like something that they (the kopete developers) should try
to make more obvious.

Thanks again

-Nick

--
           <<< The Matrix is everywhere. >>>
 /`-_    Nicholas R. LeRoy               The Condor Project