Network audio and KDE

Boyan Tabakov blade.alslayer at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 07:24:15 GMT 2007

On 4.1.2007 23:35, Shawn Willden wrote:
> I have a laptop that more or less permanently lives next my desktop.  I
> often play videos on it while working on the desktop.
>
> What I'd like to do is to make use of network audio to shunt the audio
> stream from the laptop to the desktop machine, taking advantage of the
> vastly better 300W 5.1 speaker system on that machine.  The two machines
> are connected with a Gig-E LAN, so bandwidth and even latency aren't an
> issue.
>
> It appears that ARTS should be able to handle this, but I can't figure out
> how to make it work.  I have figured out how to run NAS (network audio
> system) on the desktop and to use audiooss on the laptop (setting the
> AUDIOSERVER env variable, using LD_PRELOAD to wrap access to /dev/dsp and
> then forcing the video player to use OSS) but that's ugly and a pain to set
> up.
>
> Does anyone know how to make use of ARTS' network audio features?  Or have
> a less hackish solution they can recommend?
>
> Thanks,

Hi,
I don't have an answer to your question, but here is an idea. Why don't you
set up a stream server on the laptop? I know this won't work for videos, but
you will be able to play music. Maybe use something like Icecast?

Making ARTS do the job would be nice, but I am not sure if it will work. On my
system, playing music (e.g. on Amarok) is not affected by switching on or off
kde sound system (ARTS). So I guess ARTS is used only for the KDE sounds.

--
Blade hails you...

Deep Silent Complete
Black velvet sea