K find usage?

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Feb 2 13:09:35 GMT 2007

On Friday 02 February 2007 13:56, John wrote:
> This subject is giving me a headache. There doesn't seem to be anyway of
> getting kfind to only look in certain directories. It will only except one.

Yes, seems to be a limitation. Likely because exposing such a feature could
result in quite a complex UI

> This isn't a problem off my home directory because I know where things are
> and don't often have to wait for kfind to sort through 15plus gig of all
> sorts of things  (very little video etc). It is a problem searching off
> root as I have to include the home directory. A root search is often needed
> after I install new applications. I also want to re format 2 hard drives
> off my home directory. It would be nice to locate all pdf's, docs etc and
> sort them in one go. Files aren't a problem more than one directory is.

updatedb+locate?

I think there is even a third party KIO slave which lets you
access "locate"-able files in file dialogs.

> Is there any way of doing this with kfind or is there another application
> that will. I've looked briefly at beagle but I don't want a dead brained
> numb skull windoze type solution that assumes I have everything in certain
> specifically named directories. It just isn't flexible enough and I do hope
> kde isn't going that way.

The most likely candidate is Strigi, a very nice and fast indexer written in
pure C++
http://www.vandenoever.info/software/strigi/

Btw, on your original mail:

> > > I recently found that I could use kfind to find files with several
> > > suffixes by entering *.pdf;*.txt;*.doc etc. There is nothing in the
> > > help files on this general area of use.

The weird thing is that this information is available in the "What's this"
help, i.e. when one clicks on the question mark icon on the window decoration
and then on the input field.

You could file a bug report against the KFind documenation

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring